Thứ Ba, 15 tháng 3, 2011

Does my ISP hate Port Forwarding (DMZ)?

I've had some issues setting up DMZ mode for my Cnet wireless router.
I'm not extremely familiar with all the technical stuff, but I have been to several forums and downloaded tutorials, and I intend to learn. So forgive me if I seem
ill-informed. Much of the forum advice out there is conflicting.

My friend has an office and wants to set up a wireless network
using his gateway modem, which is wireless, but wireless is not
enabled. It connects directly to his compter. It is a AT&T issued "2WIRE".

We purchased a Cnet wireless, to connect to the gateway modem, and
using the settings in the 2Wire, we chose DMZ plus mode, and wired the
Cnet into a LAN outlet on the back. I also enabled DHCP on the Cnet.

It worked, I had wireless on my laptop, and he had his ethernet connection,
on his desktop computer. The next day, internet service was shut down, with a warning screen from ATT (I'm not sure what it said).

Various forums have suggested using the WAN port on the Cnet, others say do not use the WAN port; use the LAN port. Some forums say to disable DHCP
on the Cnet, others say to enable it, and also to go with 'static DHCP '
(I think I tried that once but didn't get a signal). And still other tutorials say to
enable the Cnet's DMZ instead of the 2Wire's, (didn't work), and assign an ip number myself to the Cnet.
What I have not tried is enabling DMZ plus on both the 2Wire and the Cnet.,
and I've not tried assigning an IP on the Cnet (the same IP as the 2Wire?
A different one?)

What worries me is that since it worked on the second or third try, for 24 hours, and then we re-booted the Cnet and it worked again for 24 hours, then I must have done it right. So... AT&T clearly does not want us to set up a wiFi hotspot;
it is detecting another piece of hardware and shutting my friend's service down.
(I also didn't clone the MAC address on the Cnet to match the 2Wire... because
I assumed DMZ plus mode would automatically take care of all this).

Lastly, when disconnecting the Cnet and going back into the 2Wire firewall settings
in order to switch back from DMZ to regular firewall settings (because we were going to have to call ATT service to come out, as the screen prompted)--
well, I found that DMZ plus was not enabled anyway; the settings we chose last time did not stick. We tried the whole thing again (DMZ, etc), got wireless
in the lobby of the building, and again, the next day, no service. Just a screen
from ATT prompting him to call service to have the internet restored.
And inside the 2Wire, DMZ was again not selected.

Something is telling me I should not tinker further with this, if the ISP is detecting
our changes, and cutting his service.

Or, I have missed one of the optional settings I mentioned above.
I think I'm looking for overall advice, or just point me to another tutorial... I'll learn..


Thoughts?

steve

Technical: it's standard ATT DSL, but a commercial account. Router/gateway is 2wire 2701,
and Cnet is (I am afraid I can't get to it until tomorrow, since it is locked away.. I think '920 or 980'..sorry.) ip/gateway: 192.168.1.254 and ip/Cnet is of course 192.168.1.1.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét